According to an article in the November edition of Health & Safety Review, speaking at a recent ceremony at which 15 companies were presented with OHSAS 18001 certificates, Chief Executive Martin O’Halloran said that the HSA found that 80% of failures are attributable to management.
- ensures they are aware of their duties
- plans for health and safety
- helps the employer to devise and implement appropriate policies and procedures to deal with hazards
- has provision for checking the effectiveness of the system on an ongoing basis, and
- facilitates employers in reviewing and revising the system on an ongoing basis.
The internationally recognised safety management system which meets these points is OHSAS 18001. OHSAS 18001 is, like most other management systems, based on the principals of “Plan, Do, Check, Act” with the concept of continual improvement at its core. The system is written under the following main headings:
- OH&S Policy
- Implementation & Operation
- Checking & Corrective Action, and
- Management Review
Sections 2-5 deal correspond with the Plan, Do, Check, Act concept and these can be as relatively simple and straightforward or as complex as appropriate to the organisation in which they are being implemented. The important thing here is that whether or not is that by implementing this type of safety management system, an employer can fulfil or exceed the duties placed on them. OHSAS 18001 is a certifiable standard, meaning organisations who choose to implement it can apply to have external, independent certifying bodies registered with the Irish National Accreditation Board (INAB) or equivalent body, certify their system. Although there are certain benefits to being certified to this standard, it is not mandatory and therefore any organisation may implement the requirements of the standard as a standalone, non-certified system.
The benefits of OHSAS 18001 include:
- Reduced accidents
- Fewer insurance claims
- Less downtime
- Improved staff morale
- Increased compliance with legal requirements
Use the form below for a free quotation for OHSAS 18001 or call Business Safety on 0818 333 212